[mythtv] tiny code improvement.

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Sun May 11 17:06:37 EDT 2003

On Sunday 11 May 2003 01:19 pm, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 05:19:57PM +1000, michael at optusnet.com.au wrote:
> > #2. Mythtv is very slow to change position. Skipping forward
> > 30sec or 10 min can take 10's of seconds.
>
> Not here.  Have you investigated the root cause?  This is a good first step
> when trying to solve a problem. :-)
>
> Are you running current CVS, or the 0.8 release?

If I can jump in here.  I have noticed huge differences inthe forward scaning
depending on a couple variables...

1.  The obvious CPU load.  It is somewhat slower if its recording other shows.
2.  And more importantly, if the playback file is still open for recording
(at the time of its playback opening), skipping can be much slower.
For instance, if I open a 30 min file for playback, while the recording is
in its 29th minute, it will scan slowly the entire 30 minutes; even tho
the recording has long since stopped.  If the recording is completely
stopped, scanning is much faster.  How much you ask?
Jumping 30 seconds might take 5-10 seconds.  But if its not being
recorded, jumping 30 seconds is about 1/4 - 1/2 of a second.  Its a
behavior I've noticed for some time, just haven't gotten around to
asking about.

Brian