[mythtv] Splitting out audio output code in preparation for native ALSA support

Ian Westcott ijw1 at pacbell.net
Sat May 10 20:48:58 EDT 2003

On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 09:26:55PM -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Friday 09 May 2003 11:12 pm, James Knight wrote:
> > Hi, I'm working on adding native ALSA support to Myth to avoid needing
> > to use the OSS emulation layer.
>
> Any particular reason why you'd want this?  Not saying I won't accept a more
> complete patch, but, why? =)  The OSS emulation works well enough for
> everything, and it's a whole lot simpler than using the alsa lib.  I'd also

There are a number of things alsa can give you, one of the nicest (which
I'm currently unable to do with the OSS emulation layer) is sound
outputted though spdif. Some chipsets seem to support routing all sound
through the s/pdif device (the Realtek chipset in the Shuttle does this,
so I hear), but others, like my i810 sound chip, does not. I'd rather get
sound out to my receiver via spdif rather than analog (due to some analog
problems on my end.. a low electrical hum that won't go away no matter
what I do), but I couldn't get that without real Alsa support.

> like to not have to add another dependency to the compile, etc..  I've also
> had bad experiences in the past with having to rewrite code using ALSA every
> 6 months when they decided to rewrite their API just for the hell of it.

Hmm, has there been any major changes since 0.9? I would hope they've
stabilized by now.

Ian