[mythtv] Bug Reports

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri May 9 10:46:48 EDT 2003

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 12:19:48AM -0400, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> > Suggestion: sometimes the contents and general makeup of the VBI
> > changes markedly, too (some master control switchers leak VITC, for
> > example, and it will likely jump from deck to deck).
> >
> > An amusing project would be to build a "window burn" module that
> > decoded that timecode.  Being able to use it for commercial detection
> > would be a side effect.
>
> If you can tell me how or point me to information on how to get that
> data out of the current /dev/vbi interface, then I'll definitely look
> into it.  I spent a few hours this week looking over the vbi code in Myth
> to see if there was anything I could key off of but haven't come up with
> anything yet.  I haven't messed with /dev/vbi at all before now though,
> so I may be missing something.

I dunno; I wasn't sure that you didn't get the VBI data ... no, you
couldn't get it directly; there's no margin on the display; you'd see
it.

I didn't know there *was* a /dev/vbi.  But I'd assume it would look
like some more lines of the picture, 640 by about 20 or so, and you'd
have to parse the analog information out of it, possibly after a second
level of phase locking (the card doing the first).

I *can* find you some specs on the stuff that lives down there, though,
if that's what you need.

Cheers,
-- jra
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   "If you don't have a dream; how're you gonna have a dream come true?"
     -- Captain Sensible, The Damned (from South Pacific's "Happy Talk")