[mythtv] SetChannel before watching LiveTV or recording

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri May 9 10:51:42 EDT 2003

Quite honestly, I would absolutely avoid running *any* program that messes
with the tuner card while simultaneously running mythbackend.  The reason:
an external program has no knowledge (unless you've written it to read the
Myth database, or talk to mythbackend) whether mythbackend is currently
using the tuner for a scheduled recording.  So, a daemon that periodically
grabs the tuner could very well change the channel out from under an
in-progress Myth recording.

I realize some people have setups where they cannot avoid doing this, but
realize that MythTV is designed to assume it has sole control of the tuner
device.

-JAC