[mythtv] Mythbackend stuffs up if no video signal is present

Ron Aldrich raldrich at mac.com
Thu May 8 23:02:06 EDT 2003

Folks,

Over the past couple of weeks, I've been trying to track down an
intermittent lockup where Mythbackend stuffs up in
RequestRingBufferBlock, causing Mythfrontend to lock up waiting for
video.

It turns out that after my RCA DSS receiver sits long enough, it takes
it upon itself to turn off the video - then, then next time I select
'Watch TV', in Mythfrontend, it locks up (before opening the video
window) because there is no video (I'm currently testing a temporary
fix for this where I issue an 'on' code in RCA.pl before each channel
change).

I should mention that I'm using a PVR-350 card for my video input - the
ivtv drivers don't generate an output stream unless there is a video
signal.

I'm not sure what the right solution is for this - I'd like to see a
"no video signal detected" screen in Mythfrontend, but I'm not sure
where it should be generated.  Ivtv could generate it, but then ivtv
would have to be localizable, and Mythbackend would have no way to know
whether or not it is receiving a valid data stream.  I'm thinking that
ivtv should report I/O errors, and mythbackend should then fabricate an
appropriate data stream for Mythfrontend.

Ron