[mythtv] Database layout

Matt Zimmerman mdz at debian.org
Mon Mar 31 18:05:07 EST 2003

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 04:13:00PM -0500, Calvin Harrigan wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> I've been perusing the mythtv database trying to determine where all the
> programs 'to be' recorded are stored.  Previously it has been in several
> tables.
>
> singlerecord
> timeslotrecord
> allrecord
> record
>
> Record has since taken on a different task, purpose.  All the recordings
> of all types all seem to be in this table now.
>
> 1) Is this a correct statement?

Previously, the three tables singlerecord, timeslotrecord and allrecord
stored this information.  record was created to replace those three tables
with one.  There was no record table until version 0.8, so it has only ever
had one purpose.

> 2) If so, how is this table updated with the timeslot record, weekly
> record, any channel, anytime on this channel?

There is a 'type' column.

> 3) How are these programs flagged in the database?

The programs are not flagged; the scheduler joins the program and record
tables to find out what to record.

> 4) Is the extended 'to be recorded' information generated on the fly in
> the epg using just the type flag in the record table as a marker to do
> further querying?

What extended information?

> 5) Are the aforementioned tables obsolete?

singlerecord, timeslotrecord and allrecord are obsolete.

> I know it seems like a lot of questions. I've try to figure out as much as
> I could without getting into the code. I'm working on a little applet for
> mythtv that requires the record info.  I just need to know what/how to
> query.

Why are you trying to avoid the code?  That is the best way to find out how
it works.

--
 - mdz