[mythtv] about the DATETIME patch

Chris Palmer mythtv at zencow.com
Sun Mar 30 15:25:06 EST 2003

Chris Palmer wrote
> I've now studied it a bit, and I can't come up with a sequence
> to fit all cases.  If the table doesn't exist, the changes fail,
> skipping other changes later that might be needed (like creating
> those tables).

ok... I've thought about it some more, and I came to the conclusion
that all of the CREATE TABLE (if not exists) items in the cvs.sql
should be BEFORE everything else.  Those statements are already
safe from errors that would make an update fail, so they should
be done first to ensure the tables are in a known state, then
all of the changes to table structures can be made after that
in the order from most recent to oldest.

I think that sequence of updates to the database will be the
safest/cleanest/best way to ensure desired database structure.

I'm cleaning up my version of cvs.sql in this fashion and will
re-submit a patch for MC/database/cvs.sql and MC/database/mc.sql.

-Chris