[mythtv] Front ends for other machines

Thor Johnson thormj at ieee.org
Fri Mar 28 13:01:22 EST 2003

I'm keeping this reply in dev to explain my skip patch.

>The only hitch is that it's slow - the video & audio hiccup about
>every 3-5 secodns for a second or so.
>It's a 1.6Ghz Athlon (not XP) - & the CPU runs at about 80% & it's
>got MMX support, Xv, and shared memory support.
>I just tried Thor's 'skip' patch but that didn't help.  It's a 100Mbps
>switched ethernet connection so I don't think that's it.
>The files are mpeg4 encoded at 480x480 at 4400 target bitrate.

It looks like you're running against your *local* X server.  The
problem I was solving was that the rendering the pictures exceeded
my network bandwidth and my *remote* X-Server's capability.

Instead of getting "waiting until next trigger" (which indicates
that Nupplevideoplayer knows its behind and is trying to compensate),
all that would happen was a time-lag would build and buld
(I don't know if it would crash if it got too big).  On a local
system, I think X should hold-up the program and you should
start getting "waiting until next trigger" messages on the
console of the frontend.  The only "good" thing it could do
locally would be to reduce the amount of CPU being used by X.

-Thor Johnson