[mythtv] lirc blocks reading from /dev/video

Geoffrey Hausheer ou401cru02 at sneakemail.com
Sun Mar 23 12:57:50 EST 2003

My setup:
P4 1.6GHz, i850 Motherboard
Debian Unstable
Asus 770 Geforce 2
XFree 4.2 w/ 'nv' drivers
AvertTv Stereo bt878 capture card
LIRC-serial w/ IR blaster
Capture from S-Video

Well, I finally have mythtv up and running reliably (though I wouldn't
call it perfect)

In the prcocess of getting everything working, I discovered the
following, which stumped me for a bit.

When using live-tv, everything worked fine.  As soon as I tried to record
anything, mythbackend would get messed up with a message like:

Changing from None to RecordingOnly
Can't open video device: /dev/video0
open video:: Device or resource busy
VIDIOCSAUDIO: Bad file descriptor

Changing chennels within live-tv works fine.
I finally figured out that it was because of my channel changing script:

Following the directions (From mythtv-HOWTO-8), I had something like:
----channel.sh----
#!/bin/sh

REMOTE_NAME=SA2000

for digit in $(echo $1 | sed -e 's/./& /g'); do
    /usr/local/bin/rc SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME $digit
    sleep 1
done
/usr/local/bin/rc SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME SELECT
sleep 1
------------------

And a second wrapper script to call the first:
----chanwrap.sh----
#!/bin/sh
echo "changing to $1"
/usr/local/bin/channel.sh $1 &
------------------

well thre seems to be some contention between changing channels in
parallel with opening /dev/video
If I call channel.sh directly from myth, everything works fine.  Calling
the wrapper (which does the channel change in the background) hoses up
mythbackend with teh above message (and means a restart of both
mythbackend and mythfrontend is needed).

Just FYI.
.Geoff
--
  Geoffrey Hausheer