[mythtv] backend dependency on X

Chris Palmer mythtv at zencow.com
Fri Mar 21 14:23:41 EST 2003

Isaac Richards wrote
> On Friday 21 March 2003 04:54 pm, Chris Palmer wrote:
> > I can't help but notice that with all the effort to make
> > the frontend and backend separate, that a new dependency
> > to X was recently added to the backend:  the GUI setup.
> >
> > I'd really like to see a 100% command-line backend install
> > and configure, so that I can build a headless tuner farm
> > one of these days.  :)
>
> setup depends on the x libraries being installed, not on an xserver running.
> You can quite easily export the display to show elsewhere.

Yup.  I know that, but it's not consistent with the design
of separate backends and frontends.  It still means a user
has to have X running in order to setup a backend.

Maybe it's a silly idea, because the frontend requires X
and a backend to run.  It's surely not a top priority, but
just something that I noticed that *seems* to contradict the
architecture/dependency changes for the backend for v0.8.

-Chris