[mythtv] 0.9 Road Map Sugestion

Robert Middleswarth robert at middleswarth.net
Fri Mar 21 12:48:27 EST 2003

Isaac Richards wrote:

>On Thursday 20 March 2003 12:24 pm, Andy Davidoff wrote:
>

>>It makes more sense to me to simply test the CVS more broadly during the
>>feature freeze preceding the release.  Call 'em release candidates if you
>>like; the point is that the issue here is testing, not change control.
>>
>>I don't think it's unreasonable for developers to drop hard-core feature
>>additions in the week or two leading up to a release and concentrate on
>>fixing bugs.  If Myth had more developers and a more unstable CVS tree
>>in between releases, I'd agree that an unstable branch would be useful.
>>

>Exactly.  As it stands, I'm not forseeing any major long term breakages in the
>near future anyway, so it's really pretty moot.
>
>Isaac

My point is as someone else has said there are people who will only use
release version.  Even the idea of RC still wont hit the largest number
of testers.  I am not sugesting a speacial branch or even anything more
that after a few weeks of people running .8 that we take the current CVS
assuming nothing is under long term breakages at that point and roll out
a bug fix release that is all.  Looking back at .7 there were 2
Different point that might have been a good time to do that and maybe
make a 3rd with only 1 or 2 files not the whole branch.  1st point was
when you fixed the bookmark code that wouldn't work with file larger
then 1 hour.  2nd was when mjpeg(?) suport was added but before
everything was borken with the frontend / backend break.  3rd Spot was
when ZapIt broken .7 just to update the code to fix that would have been
a good bugfix release without having major developer overhead or
requiring a branch or anything else other then grabing stable point out
of CVS.

Please also don't take what I am saying the wrong way.  This is one of
the best projects I have every delt with it has good clean code with
frendly people who will answer even the dumbest questions 20 Time
without see the "RTFM" respones.  Those 2 reason are why I think we see
so many plug-in projects and contrib code for this project.

Robert