[mythtv] Re: Adding DVB-T support to MythTV

jng_junk at greenmail.demon.co.uk jng_junk at greenmail.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 19 15:10:03 EST 2003

> If you take the hack basic support into myth route (which i think is best
> for quick, relatively clean, but limited support for dvb) then I see it
> slightly more as follows (if myth doesnt do things quite like this then
> i'd have thought it would be very simple to change):
>
> before myth opens the video stream it executes the change channel command.
> then it opens the video stream by calling dvbstream (using a shell wrapper
> that works out the PID's required) which pipes its output to myth.
> before changing the channel myth shuts down dvbstream.
>
> That might make changing channel take slightly longer if myth doesnt do it
> like this atm but it will result in no consitancy problems (MPEG streams
> etc).

This is the route I was originally thinking about, but I wasn't sure about
the video side of things within MythTV. 'dvbstream' has the feature to
dynamically change channels without the need to restart it (you
communicate over a socket). This would provide quicker channel changing
facilities.

So to summarise, are we saying this if NuppelVideo supported the MPEG
streams generated by dvbstream, this is all that is required?

James.