[mythtv] Remote X display crash...

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Tue Mar 18 11:09:42 EST 2003

You can't use XShm on remote displays.  You can get this working by
using a little debug statement I accidentilly left in XJ.cpp when
I committed it to cvs.

Instead of running just mythfrontend on the command line, try this:

NO_SHM=1 mythfrontend

That will tell the display code to not use Xshm shared memory extentions.
There is also a NO_XV environment setting that can be used to force
the display code to fallback to non-Xv mode.  These were things I
added when I was testing the initial non-Xv mode fallback code.

> I don't know how usable it would be (dvds are useless), but for grins,
> I tried to run mythfrontend, pointing it to a cgywin/XFree86 display
> on my windows box (100Mbit).  It crashed instead of going slow:
> (cvs after the include fix for 0.8)
>
> Couldn't find Xv support, falling back to non-Xv mode.
> * MythTV performance will be much slower since color
> * conversion and scaling will be done in software.
> * Consider upgrading your video card or X server if
> * you would like better performance.
> Xlib:  extension "MIT-SHM" missing on display "192.0.3.2:0.0".
> XShmAttach() failed:: Success
> get_buffer() failed (1 1073741824 2 (nil))
> Segmentation fault
>
> Should I get gdb on this or would it even be worth it?
> Would adding XV to cygwin/XF86 be beneficial?
>
> TIA,
> Thor Johnson

Chris