[mythtv] database schema

Andy Davidoff dert at pobox.com
Sun Mar 16 02:08:18 EST 2003

Original airdates are only available as years and are currently stored as such.

The size issue has consistently been shrugged off, but what I would rather look
at is the use of fixed-length records.  If we moved strings out of the program
table, many queries would run much faster.  This may not seem like an issue when
you only have 60 channels and only keep a week of program data in your DB, but
when you have multiple inputs, each with several hundred channels and a month of
future program data, interactivity suffers.

Also, we've verified that MySQL 3.23.54a doesn't optimize some queries well
enough for them to run with decent interactivity, while 3.23.55 does fine.
I really think that version 3.23.55 should be made a requirement, or at least
a recommendation.  Especially in light of the fact that patches to resolve
these differences have been rejected.

Thanks for offering to fix the TIMESTAMPs...

#if Mike Javorski /* Mar 15, 22:44 */

#endif /* mikej at carmelfly.com */