[mythtv] mythmusic question (again)

Michael J. Sherman msherman at dsbox.com
Thu Mar 6 11:48:54 EST 2003

Shuttle XPC SS40G  w/ Athlon XP 1700+
On-board SIS video
Creative Ensoniq sound card (PCI)
RedHat 8.1 beta
ATI Wonder TV VE (PCI)

Sound works perfectly with MythTV using the compiled Alsa 0.9.0rc7
drivers.   Sound also works fine in MythGame.

I tried to run mythmusic in gdb last night but gdb complained about a
thread library that it couldn't load.  Therefore I'm suspecting a
problem with the glibc distribution with that Redhat 8.1 beta.  Tonight
I'll be downgrading to the RedHat 8.0 release to see if that clears up
the issue.  It would make sense that this thread locking issue is
because of a bad set of thread libs, no? ;-)

Michael Kedl wrote:
> I must have missed it.  What kind of machine was this?  And it can play
> mythtv back ok?
>
> Not one of those funky integrated video/audio deals is it?
>
> Mike
>
> On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 16:37, Michael J. Sherman wrote:
>
>>No, that's not it, but I appreciate the suggestion.  Here's some more
>>details of my experience with mythmusic:
>>
>>1) I select "Music".
>>2) I select "Select Music" and can the configure my playlist.
>>3) I escape out of that and then select "Play Music".
>>4) At this point the music will start playing, but the GUI is locked.
>>By that I mean any keyboard input does not result in immediate action,
>>nor does the slider or time counter update.
>>5) After about 45 seconds of playing, the gui will update and move the
>>slider instantaneously to the 45-second equivalent position.  The time
>>count will also update to 00:45.
>>6) Any keyboard inputs are in fact queued, so they will all take effect
>>immediately at that time.
>>7) A split second later it'll lock up again, and the time counter will
>>be frozen at 00:45, but the music will continue to play just fine.
>>8) After another 30-45 seconds, the same thing happens. Continue until
>>the music playlist is done.
>>
>>So, basically, if I were to play a 5-minute song, I would only be able
>>to see GUI updates and interact with it at about the 45-second mark, the
>>1:30 mark, the 2:15 mark, etc.  So if I'm playing a song and I want to
>>quit out, I can hit escape, but I have to wait for the next GUI update
>>for that escape key event to actually reach the playback box and quit
>>playing.
>>

>>Michael Kedl wrote:
>>
>>>Well, since you're pleading I'll just throw out an obvious check.
>>>
>>>Make sure you have the screensaver and dpms turned off or your screen
>>>will blank/freeze. I had to do that on my living room box after the wife
>>>couldn't figure out why it went blank....
>>>
>>>I doubt this is your problem, but who know?
>>>Mike

Michael J. Sherman  |  Software Developer
Digital Sandbox, Inc.  |  http://www.dsbox.com/