[mythtv] Feature Request

J.R. Hyde jr at jrh.net
Tue Mar 4 13:15:10 EST 2003

The tivo suggestion feature was originally based around just the genre
category that every shows info provided. So you would rate individual
shows with 1-3 thumbs, either up or down, and tivo would record
suggestions based on those genre's you gave thumbs up or thumbs down.
Shows usually belong to more than 1 genre (action, scifi, or animated,
children etc) so it worked reasonably well. TiVo has been enhancing the
suggestion features for awhile now so it uses aggregate data obtained
from everybody and it has gotten quite a bit better, at least for me.
For some people it got a lot worse according to reports on the
tivocommunity boards /shrug.

The big difference between how mythtv and tivo work is tivo doesn't
provide an available space indicator. The only way to know how much
space you have available on a TiVo is to leave suggestions on. The TiVo
will try and always be recording new suggestions and shows, as long as
it wasn't doing anything else of higher priority. So if you have a ton
of suggestions to watch, you know you have quite a bit of free space, if
you have zero suggestions then you are either out of freespace or darn
close. At first this sounded like a kludge to me, but in practice it
works wonderfully. I had no idea futurama was being broadcast again (I
don't watch commercials of course) but the tivo picked it up as a
suggestion which was a pleasant surprise. This and other things it has
caught have made me a fan of the suggestion system.

For mythtv to be able to handle suggestions, it would have to have some
kind of freespace limiter or management system on top of the suggestion
engine being added. Another neat thing about how tivo handles
suggestions is even if you turn off suggestions, you can still see what
it would have suggested to record at any time.