[mythtv] Myth .nuv MPEG4 format portability [Possible Breakthrough]

Rob Snow lists at dympna.com
Tue Mar 4 06:47:42 EST 2003

I just ran into something that seems pretty substantial.  I was still working with
getting mencoder to make something that works on my Windows machine for
portability.  As you might remember quite a few of us are unable to get something that
is portable with a -oac copy -ovc copy.  This is still the case, however, in running
some tests I have found something that might be interesting to others.

I can make a usable .avi file with mencoder IF I do not -oac copy the audio stream.  If I
use a -oac mp3lame I get a usable .avi file that plays under Windows with -ovc lavc.  I
have not had much time to test this and won't be able to until PM today (that work
thing).

I was actually trying to create a small .avi file for distribution to others who follow the
lists to get a survey of who could/couldn't play the file to see if I could find any
commonality.  Since it was just a go/no-go test, I was trying to make it really small.
(video bitrate of 100 passed to lavc) and noticed that the audio was as large or larger
than the video track...simple fix, I downsampled it by removing the -oac copy option
and replacing it with a -oac mp3lame.  When I encoded this it triggered a different set of
"Skipping frame" messages that I had seen before.  This turned on some type of light
in my head so I tried to play it under Windows...shazzam, it worked...something is
definately different.

I've tried it all the way up to my previously non-working bitrates/attempts and it seems
to work like a charm with -oac mp3lame -lameopts <whatever>.

I'm not sure what this tells us about our .nuv files or mencoder, but thought it might
be an interesting data point for those interested.

-Rob

P.S.
A quick test showed that -oac mp3lame -ovc copy still did not work (with gspot or
WMP) and neither did -ovc xvid, however, I would not consider those completely
conclusive as I might need to clean my video codecs under windows to verify after a lot
of messing with them last night.