[mythtv] Commercial flagging during record

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Sat Mar 1 00:26:53 EST 2003

The 'Z' key should work for buffered LiveTV as well but I haven't given
that any extensive testing as I rarely watch LiveTV in Myth.  The old
(current CVS) code works best/fastest if you hit 'Z' less than 2 seconds
into a commercial break.  This is because the first thing it will do is
jump backwards 2 seconds then scan forward looking for a blank frame.
It will scan forward up to 64 seconds (ie, the 2 seconds it backed up then
62 seconds into the 'future').  If you hit 'Z' within the 2 seconds after
a commercial starts, it will only have to scan through 2 seconds of video
before finding the first blank.  If you hit 'Z' in the 3rd second of a
60-second long commercial then it has to scan through 29 seconds of
video before finding that blank.  Scanning 29 seconds of video would take
4.48 seconds on my Athlon 700 (recorded at 352x480, longer at higher res).
Scanning through 1-2 seconds to find the first blank would only take
less than a half a second if you had hit 'Z' within the first 2 seconds of
a commercial.  The whole offline or record-time scanning for blank frames
cures this problem for prerecorded shows but doesn't for LiveTV.  There
may be something that in the (non-near) future could be done to help
speed up LiveTV commercial skipping, but it's a bit more complicated than
the current stuff.

> Changing the topic slightly, but can this work when watching livetv?
> Not recording livetv for later viewing...
>
> I ask this because I just grabbed cvs (a couple hours ago) and hit z while
> watching live tv.  It looked like it was trying to check for
> commercials and I wasn't able to figure out how to stop it.  Probably
> something I did wrong, but I was curious about hitting z during livetv.
>
> Thanks,
> Derrick

Chris