[mythtv] Re: Re:DVB fixes

Zaheer Abbas Merali zaheerabbas at merali.org
Sun Jun 29 18:42:16 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-06-29 at 13:33, Martin Smith wrote:
> > Ok, with current CVS...changing channel segfaults whether the channel
> > moved to is on same multiplex or not...however I have a small patch that
> > improves it to only segfaulting when moving between multiplex. That
> > patch just deletes the decoder and creates a new one on channel change.
>
> Hi,
>
> I just noticed DVB the code opens the frontend device, tunes the channel and
> closes it again. I don't think this is the right thing to do.
>
> On my card, when the frontend is closed it loses lock. Watching the output of
> femon I get a brief period of lock when mythbackend starts and the channel is
> tuned and then it goes away (shown below). Mythfrontend then sits there with a
> black screen when I go to 'live tv', presumably because the card isn't providing
> data.
>
> I think I also remember reading on the dvb list that some cards go into power
> saving mode when the frontend is closed.
>
> I modified the code to hold the frontend open and close it in the Close method
> and that lets me watch TV (except for the segfault you're already looking into
> above). It's a bit of a hack using a fixed size array for 4 cards so I don't
> want to submit it as a patch but I think you probably need to do something similar.
>
> Martin

I agree with you, the frontend should be left open.  I will try and
incorporate that.

Regarding the segfault, I am a bit perplexed and have only been
experimenting doing certain things.  Though over the last few days, I
have moved my dvb cards around...Today I plan to write a couple of
standalone apps to see what part: change channel during recording or
decoding/playing a recording that has had channel changed is screwing
up.

--
Zaheer Abbas Merali <zaheerabbas at merali.org>