[mythtv] MythMusic database schema suggestion

thor mythtv at lamedomainname.com
Tue Jun 24 15:13:42 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 24 June 2003 02:39 pm, Brian Lalor wrote:

> What's being stored in memory?  If I've got 10,000 songs (which I probably
> do and my collection isn't that big in relative terms), does that mean
> you're reading *10,000* records from the database into memory at startup
> time?

	Yes.

> Allow me to look at it from the point of view of the current (0.9.1)
> "select music" screen.  Startup of the application should be
> near-instantaneous.  Just draw the screen.  Then we go to the "select
> music" screen.  No data's been loaded from the database because we don't
> know what the user wants to do yet, and for the sake of argument no
> playlist data is yet loaded.

	That's not the way ot works. At startup, the user's entire music tree is
written into a memory structure. Playlists as well.

	Can't say I'm enthusiastic about the idea of dynamically building branches
onto a music data tree every time the user presses an arrow key (and adding a
DB/SQL hit to that).

- thor