[mythtv] NuppelVideo format, keyframes, and the cutlist

Geoffrey Hausheer ou401cru02 at sneakemail.com
Wed Jun 18 12:44:17 EDT 2003

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:02:25 -0400, "Isaac Richards ijr-at-po.cwru.edu
|mythtv/1.0-Allow|" <e6kbhbk35r0t at sneakemail.com> said:
> Well, if there's something in there that tells it not to play X amount of
> frames (for video _and_ audio), then that's fine.  There'd be a tiny
> amount
> of extra frames in the video file, and the total length would be slightly
> longer, but the user wouldn't really know that.  There's no real point in
> allowing people to edit out commercials down to the exact frame if it's
> not
> going to support it =)

Well they are pretty comparable.  My current implementation doesn't store
any extra info, and regular playback requires no special steps
(fast-forward/reverse requires jumping through hoops).  Using your method
(effectively micro-cutlists), probably requires less work...except that I
have to start over :).  I would just store the cutlist in the file
instead of in the recorded database.  The micro-cutlist method is a bit
more fault tolerant (you can still handle the videos with an old decoder,
you just might see a second or so of commercials/corrupted-video if the
decoder doesn't handle the embedded cutlist.  This sounds like it might
be a cleaner approach overall.  The only thing I can think is that it
might get messy, if you  decide to do more editing to an already edited
file, but that shouldn't be too difficult to handle.

I'll give this a shot, and validate that it actually comes out cleaner
than what I've currently got.

Thanks,
.Geoff
--