[mythtv] Status of VBR MP3 length determination?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 17 10:44:03 EDT 2003

Much better... still not as accurate as it could be (calculated length is
consistently 1-2 seconds longer than actual length), but it's better than
0:00!  I'll keep working on the code to calculate length by scanning the
whole file at first playback for VBRs.  Is this how it was done in the early
incarnations of mythmusic (scanning the whole file, that is)?  I'm going on
the assumption that it was & was changed because it just took too damn long
for anything but a small collection, IIRC.

Of course, I'd really love to re-rip my collection into FLAC and transcode
to Ogg (keeping the FLAC version, too), but (a) that would take months, and
(b) I don't have the disk space.  As it is I've just about filled a 30GB
drive with VBR mp3s.

Thanks,
JAC