[mythtv] mythtv-database deb installation on woody not faring well

Jeff jadams at hoovers.com
Thu Jul 17 01:52:14 EDT 2003

(If this is a double post, I apologize. My mail client crashed while
sending the first email)

Let me start by saying "export DEBCONF_DEBUG=developer" is cool. Thanks
to it, I now understand what was happening. But first a little more
background.

The first time installing mythtv (and associated packages), I got a bit
confused and ended up entering an improper root mysql password in when
configuring the mythtv-database package. This ultimately proved to be
the source of my troubles, because as it turns out, this initial
response is cached in /var/cache/debconf/config.dat.

So in the end, my initial installation failed due to user error. No
problem I thought, I'll purge all the packages, start over, and
everything will be good. I purge packages, and re-install with
DEBIAN_PRIORITY set to low so I can answer all the questions properly. I
take the default on all questions, including the one asking for mysql's
root password, but for whatever reason, the dialog is overridden by the
entry in config.dat, and the mythtv-database package fails to install.

Once I figured out that the install was using a non-empty root password,
(thanks to Matt and his suggestion to use "export
DEBCONF_DEBUG=developer") I was able to start rgreping the filesystem to
hunt down where the invalid password was being stored. Now that I knew
where that password was stored (in /var/cache/debconf/config.dat),
removing the offending password allowed a final re-installtion to
proceed without issue.

So, at this point I appear to have a system with mythtv installed. :)

Let me know if you need/want any further detail on what transpired, I'm
happy to help as best I can. Hopfully this helps someone else.

Thanks again,

- Jeff