[mythtv] patch for mythVideo to use already scanned coverfile

Dave Alden alden at math.ohio-state.edu
Wed Jul 16 12:32:24 EDT 2003

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 10:13:27AM -0400, Mark Musone wrote:
> Instead of trying to muck around with the database, why not just modify
> the code to simply override the database image if an image file of the
> name <moviefilename>.gif
> (or .jpg, png..etc..)

My goal was to minimize any human interaction.  That's why I figured it was
safe to do a search for the coverfile, if it existed then use it, otherwise
go to the imdb database and try to download the picture.  This is only done
when you tell mythvideo to update the information on a movie (i.e., usually
only once/movie, not everytime you look at a movie).

> that should only be one or two lines of code, and doing a stat on a
> single filename isn’t a serious performance issue.

That's basically what it does now.  :-)

> Then you'll just have really one thing in the database, a setting for
> "VideoCoverOverride" which points to a pathname..

I'm willing to try to add this, although my personal preference is to
hardcode one location and look there -- which currently would be in the
directory the movie file was found in.

> If people don’t have any overrides, then take out the setting, so there
> will not be _any_ performance issues

I'm not sure that one extra stat is adding too much of a performance issue
to make it worth being in the database.  :-)

...dave