[mythtv] mythtv-database deb installation on woody not faring well

Matt Zimmerman mdz at debian.org
Wed Jul 16 11:02:31 EDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 11:36:44PM -0500, Jeff wrote:

> I am having big trouble getting the mythtv-database (0.10-2) deb to
> install. I used apt-get update && DEBIAN_PRIORITY=low apt-get install
> mythtv and received the following output:
> Setting up mythtv-database (0.10-2) ...
> Failed to connect to database: Access denied for user: 'root at localhost'
> (Using password: YES) at -e line 5, <> line 1.
> Failed to create database (incorrect admin username/password?)
> Failed to connect to database: Access denied for user: 'root at localhost'
> (Using password: YES) at -e line 240, <> line 1.
> dpkg: error processing mythtv-database (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 255
>
> Now, I've seen the issue about changing the root password on mysql, but
> I don't believe I've done so (but I can't prove it). I can, however,
> issue the mysql client with no arguments, and get in:

You are not the first to report such a problem, but I must say that this
works perfectly well for me, so I can't say what the problem is.  From the
beginning, I tested fresh installation of these packages on a system with no
mythtv packages, and they work fine.  Here's a transcript of one I did just
now, on a system with the default Debian mysql-server configuration (I used
the text frontend so you can see all of the prompts...I pressed enter at all
of them, accepting the default):

DEBIAN_FRONTEND=text sudo apt-get install mythtv-database
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  mythtv-common
  mythtv-common mythtv-database
0 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/31.6kB of archives.
After unpacking 213kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Reading changelogs... Done
Preconfiguring packages ...
Configuring Mythtv-common
-------------------------

If a database with this name already exists, it will be used.

|-) What database should be used to hold MythTV data? [mythconverg]

This user will automatically be granted appropriate permissions to the database.

|-) What username should MythTV use to access its database? [mythtv]

If you give an empty password, a random one will be generated.

|-) What password should MythTV use to access its database?

:-) On what host does the MySQL server reside? [localhost]

Configuring Mythtv-database
---------------------------

This information will be used to create a database and user for MythTV.

Unless you have explicitly changed this on the MySQL server, and understand
MySQL's privilege system, use the default of 'root'.

|-) What is the name of the MySQL administrator account? [root]

This information will be used to create a database and user for MythTV.

Unless you have explicitly changed the password on the MySQL server, leave this
blank.

:-! What is the password for the MySQL administrator account 'root'?

Selecting previously deselected package mythtv-common.
(Reading database ... 117710 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking mythtv-common (from .../mythtv-common_0.10-2_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package mythtv-database.
Unpacking mythtv-database (from .../mythtv-database_0.10-2_all.deb) ...
Setting up mythtv-common (0.10-2) ...
stripping trailing /

Setting up mythtv-database (0.10-2) ...

> I don't have a .mycnf to provide an alternative password, and I don't
> see one in /etc/mysql/my.cnf either, so as best as I can tell,
> root at localhost should not be denied.
>
> Hopefully someone has seen this before and can quickly point out the
> error in my way.

Could you try:

export DEBCONF_DEBUG=developer

run the install again, and send me the output?

Please run "reportbug mythtv-database" to send the report, this will mail
the report to me along with information about dependencies and such.

If there is a bug here, whether in the mythtv packages or elsewhere, I would
like to find and fix it.

--
 - mdz