[mythtv] x10 Remote (Entertainment Anywhere/MP3 Anywhere)

Geoffrey Hausheer ou401cru02 at sneakemail.com
Tue Jul 15 09:46:56 EDT 2003

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 06:32:52 -0500 (CDT), "hayward-at-slothmud.org
|mythtv/1.0-Allow|" <yw2xhi2i070t at sneakemail.com> said:
>
> As far as I can tell reading the MythTV documentation, there doesn't
> appear to be support for the X10 remote (not the mouseremote, but the
> entertainment anywhere remote).  This device uses (I believe) a RF
> receiver connected to a serial port.
I believe the x10 entertainment remote is supported under lirc.  If not,
adding support should not be difficult.   I currently use my
X10-mouseremote through lirc, (with a patch someone was nice enough to
provide), and it works great. (A lot better than other hacks I've seen
for this thing).

> I'm going to take a shot at creating a patch that allows this remote to
> work with MythTV, but I'd like to first learn how lirc support was added
> to MythTV.
I think this is a bad idea.  there is no reason to add additional special
cases for this.  In fact, myth knows nothing about lirc (I was actually
thinking of fixing that someday), instead you just use irxevent to
translate button presses into keys.

  I've searched for 'lirc' in most of the files and can't
> seem to find it referenced anywhere.  What are the relavent files for
> this
> type of input into MythTV?
There aren't any as I said above.

> I'm going to start by building some proof-of-concept code for reading and
> recognizing the different remote control keys from the serial port (this
> seems fairly straight-forward when looking at the x10mp3 XMMS plugin for
> this remote control)
As I said, use lirc.  You'll make everyone happier.
--
  Geoffrey Hausheer
  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX