[mythtv] mythencode.pl script

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Fri Jul 11 13:36:20 EDT 2003

On Friday 11 July 2003 11:39 am, Geoffrey Hausheer wrote:
> There is a chance
> that Ogg Theora will satisfy their requirements whenever it gets released
> (probably not for another 6 months or more), in which case you might get
> a 'standard' container then, though it won't exactly be mainstream.

>From discussions on the theora mailing list, it's pretty apparent that the ogg
container will not be very appropriate for video playback, unless things are
changed.  A single global sample/frame rate for audio/video synchronization
doesn't really cut it in the real world for good sync.

> As a side note, I was thinking of revisiting the inclusion of mythtv into
> debian main.  If we added support for VP3 and ogg, and made building with
> ffmpeg/lame configurable, it should be possible to have a version of
> mythtv that is fully DSFG and patent clean, right?  Even if Theora is way
> behind, the VP3 encoding should be pretty mature, no?

The linux port of the vp3 encoder has absolutely no optimizations in it.  It's
_slow_.  Also, vorbis doesn't have a low-latency encoding mode, so it's also
not appropriate for real-time encoding.

Isaac