[mythtv] Automatic deletion

Kirby Vandivort kvandivo at ks.uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 2 09:58:54 EDT 2003

I agree with A on this one.  It's better to not artificially inflate
any number for a purpose other than what it was intended for.

There was talk a few days ago of deleting rows from the oldrecorded
table in order to be able to rerecord shows (that myth normally wouldn't
record because it had already recorded them).

When doing this, it seems fine at the time, but you never know what
future mods you might mess up by tweaking something for a secondary
purpose.

For instance, I'm still in the process of designing some sort of
'recommendations' feature for myth where it will be able to recommend
shows that it thinks you might like.

I noted that the program ranking feature could play a nice roll in
determining recommendations.  If you rank something higher, that should
mean that you like it more; not just that you don't want it deleted
right now.

Similarly, I'm using entries in the 'oldrecorded' table to denote some
level of satisfaction with a show.  If rows are randomly removed from
'oldrecorded' (so that they can be recorded again) this would have a
negative effect on recommendations.

Better to simply add a flag for what we need.  Or, one could add unique
IDs to the table rows and then be able to have seperate tables for
these things (using foreign key concepts) without having to pollute the
main tables.

Anyway, that's my opinion of what's going to cause the least pain down
the road.