[mythtv] TV Tuner recommendation

Micah Morton micah at oregontech.net
Fri Jan 31 09:04:30 EST 2003

Okay, so I've been looking on Ebay, and I see a lot of 30 dollar ranged
cards that from what I can tell through google is supported by
Linux/v4l/v4l2. I'm wondering though what the advantages of a WinTV PCI
Theatre card would be over all of this. I saw one as low as 125 dollars
somewhere and can get it cheaper on ebay used, but.. I noticed that it has
DTS/SPDIF out in composite form, which is one thing i'm looking for.  Now,
does that mean that DVD's I play will use that same interface? or JUST TV.
I'm a little confused on how that works... I would PROBABLY need a video
card/dvd decoder card to output ac3/dts 6chan that way. My current
motherboard has 6chan sound built in with the AC97 driver, and has an
optional backplane that has optical 6chan SPDIF (which I don't want, I
want composite), but I'd rather not use the onboard stuff as my experience
with onboard sound has been not so great in the past (however very good
with this current Iwill KT266Plus motherboard.) I'm considering purchasing
all new hardware for this project because I believe its worth it. :)  What
would everybody recommend. I'm probably going with a Flex-ATX Shuttle
system for the barebones start.  Then probably a WinTV card, and a GeForce
with TV-out as it will only have 2 slots, 1x agp and 1x pci.

Thanks in advance for any help!
--Micah Morton