[mythtv] Followup Re: mythfrontend on Via EPIA M - success (sort of)

Larry Matter mythtv at matter.net
Thu Jan 30 10:29:20 EST 2003

I got an email from someone saying they were holding off buying the epia M
based on my earlier email so I figured I should give an update (at least
to have it in the archives).

I've had a bit of a change of heart about this platform and now I am going
to try to make it work (as a frontend only).

First of all, I can play 400x480 mpeg4 @2200 and it looks decent.  Not
perfect, but much better than a VCR tape.  My wife saw the picture and
thought it looked really good, which is another good datapoint (since, as
the person making it, I tend to be more nit-picky).

Performance of live TV gets bad when the OSD is up.  The OSD is nice, but
normally I would not need it so I plan to make a patch to make the OSD
optional; maybe I will be the only one to use it.  I can always hit "i" if
I want the OSD (or go to the EPG).

Aditionally, I also purchased an NVidia card with TV out (with cx25871,
not bt869) and, while I can get it to work using nvtv, the signal quality
actually looks better coming from the epia (to me anyways).

And lastly, vanity weighs in.  I cannot find a small (and cheap) case that
I like for micro ATX platforms.  Add to that the task of finding low
profile cards, and it gets even harder.  And then there is noise.  Trying
to make an AMD based system "silent" will be quite a chore I think.

However, the Morex Cubid 26xx cases are really small and attractive (they
do need some mods to fit the newer EPIA M board though).  And they should
be very quiet.

Anyway, I don't want people to avoid this platform based on my early
experience with it.  If anyone is considering playing around with this
platform I'd be happy to walk them through the setup.

Larry Matter