[mythtv] numeric keys for EPG navigation

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Thu Jan 30 05:01:01 EST 2003

Chris Lack wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 January 2003 02:47 pm, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> My nitpick is with mythtv, which uses the up/down keys to change channels and
> the PgUp/PgDown keys to skip a large chunk of time.  Since in tv mode
> left/right is used for ff/rw, would it be unreasonable to swap the bindings
> for up/down PgUp/PgDown to make it feel a little more consistant with the
> rest of the myth suite?

The reason the PgUp/PgDown were chosen is that it matched
the mplayer use of those keys. Also, the EPG already used
PgUp/PgDown and since these didn't conflict, it seems to
avoid defining two new remote control keys. The question
I'd anticipated was is PgUp positive and therefore forward
or is PgUp in a document moving closer to the beginning?
Jumping should really be on right/left aligned keys rather
than up/down.

However, I agree with Isaac that some of the key binding
have become haphazard and should be reorganized a bit. I
think it might help to have more optional keys defined
so that things that aren't absolutely necessary can be
mapped to keys that are commonly found on remotes. For
example, the jump keys should be mapped to DVD prev/next
chapter keys, etc.

--  bjm