[mythtv] No Sound...

John johnmythtv at crombe.com
Wed Jan 29 06:27:19 EST 2003

Hey Chris,

You da man!  I replaced that msp3400 module with the one from the mga dir
and voila!  Working audio and video for the first time.  How cool!  I found
a couple other modules (like bttv.o, tvaudio.o, videodev.o, tuner.o, and
tvmixer.o) in there.  Should I look for replacements for those too or are
they ok?  Another interesting thing.  I never realized that I wasn't
supposed to use the audio output from the breakout box on the G200.  I mean
I send that video to the TV but I have to take the audio from the soundcard
output right?  I guess it's only when coming out of the soundcard that it's
digitized, eh?  I assume that's the way you have it?

Now that it's working, I have some "fine tuning" to do and maybe you or
others can help?

1) With the G200 (I've got a P3-800) what settings do you have for
resolution, qual lvl, luma/chroma, etc?
2) Do you do mjpeg or mpeg4?  I figured the main reason for buying the G200
was built-in decoding but the mpeg4 looks better! ??  How about you?  Maybe
something's not right about that yet.  Maybe you could attach your
settings.txt and theme.txt?
3) When my mythfrontend / mythtv fires up, it always goes to composite input
first.  Where do you specify "Television" for the initial input?  I didn't
see it in either .txt file (0.7).
4) Here's a quirk... When I go to TV/Watch Live TV I get audio & video -
cool.  If it hit ESC, it returns to the menu.  If I then return to watching
live TV, my audio is gone (video still there) ???  However, if when watching
TV I hit "M" I can go to the EPG just fine and move around and hit M again
(or space) and everything is fine.  When I return that way to live TV audio
is still going.  Any idea why the ESC key blows out my audio?
5) I installed the ahwm window manager.  You're right.  It's great for
MythTV!  Only thing I had to figure out was to create the .xinitrc in my
home directory as my default Mandrake 9 install didn't have one.
6) One small easy UI question.  How do I simply record a minute of a program
and then stop?  I want to compare quality settings for "record only".

Thanks for all the help y'all!

JC