[mythtv] TV-Out Resolution

Micah Morton micah at oregontech.net
Mon Jan 27 16:12:31 EST 2003

Everybody,

     we really need a newbie mailing list, as I really didn't know where
to ask this.  I am not new to the linux scene but am, however, new to
the whole linux on your TV scene.  So, I have a crappy TV a
"Sylvania" with no Svideo or anything, just composite in. On my
laptop (s3 savage IX chipset) I can output to the TV only in 640x480
and see it all on my TV. Any higher and I have to pan around to see
the whole desktop. In linux with the same chipset, It does the same
thing, only it doesn't pan.. just locks me out of the rest of the
screen.  So, I guess I don't quite understand how different
resolutions are displayed on the TV.  Some cards support TV out as
high as 1024x768. Does that mean that the 1024x768 will make things
smaller on  your tv? or make it have to pan a bigger surface?  I'm
not really getting this... does your TV have to support 800x600 in
order to display it?  Anyways, any help is appreciated.  Thanks..

--Micah Morton