[mythtv] Viper 550 (Riva TNT) TV-OUT?

Curtis Stanford curtis at stanfordcomputing.com
Thu Jan 23 21:20:09 EST 2003

Have you tried the NVidia drivers? Here is an exerpt from the README file:

NVIDIA GPU-based video cards with a TV-Out (S-Video) connector can be
employed to use a television as another display device, just like a CRT
or digital flat panel.  The TV can be used by itself, or (on appropriate
video cards) in conjunction with another display device in a TwinView
configuration.

If a TV is the only display device connected to your video card, it will
be used as the primary display when you boot your system (ie the console
will come up on the TV just as if it were a CRT).  To use your TV with X,
there are a few parameters that you should pay special attention to in
your XF86Config file:

  o The VertRefresh and HorizSync values in your monitor section;
    please make sure these are appropriate for your television.
    Values are generally:

        HorizSync 30-50
        VertRefresh 60

  o The Modes in your screen section; the valid modes for your TV encoder
    will be reported in a verbose XFree86.0.log file (generated with
    `startx -- -logverbose 5`) when X is run on a TV.  Some modes may
    be limited to certain TV Standards; if that is the case, it will
    be noted in the XFree86.0.log file.  Generally, atleast 800x600 and
    640x480 are supported.

  o The "TVStandard" option should be added to your screen section; valid
    values are:

        "PAL-B"  : used in Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Guinea,
                   Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Italy, Malaysia, The
                   Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Singapore, Spain,
                   Sweden, and Switzerland
        "PAL-D"  : used in China and North Korea
        "PAL-G"  : used in Denmark, Finland, Germany, Italy, Malaysia,
                   The Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden,
                   and Switzerland
        "PAL-H"  : used in Belgium
        "PAL-I"  : used in Hong Kong and The United Kingdom
        "PAL-K1" : used in Guinea
        "PAL-M"  : used in Brazil
        "PAL-N"  : used in France, Paraguay, and Uruguay
        "PAL-NC" : used in Argentina
        "NTSC-J" : used in Japan
        "NTSC-M" : used in Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador,
                   Haiti, Honduras, Mexico, Panama, Puerto Rico, South
                   Korea, Taiwan, United States of America, and Venezuela

    The line in your XF86Config file should be something like:

        Option "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"

    If you don't specify a TVStandard, or you specify an invalid value,
    the default "NTSC-M" will be used.  Note: if your country is not in
    the above list, select the country closest to your location.

  o The "ConnectedMonitor" option can be used to tell X to use the TV for
    display.  This should only be needed if your TV is not detected by
    the video card, or you use a CRT (or digital flat panel) as your
    boot display, but want to redirect X to use the TV.  The line in
    your config file should be:

        Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"

  o The "TVOutFormat" option can be used to force SVIDEO or COMPOSITE
    output.  Without this option the driver autodetects the output format.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't always do this correctly.  The output format
    can be forced with the options:

         Option "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"

                     or

         Option "TVOutFormat" "COMPOSITE"