[mythtv] recording directv line-in

Erik Arendse erik_nospam.arendse at bigfoot.com
Thu Jan 23 13:55:57 EST 2003

At 23-1-03 13:39, March the Mad Scientist wrote:
> > >Obviously MythTv can't change channels on the directtv box
> >
> > Yes it can: http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-10.html#ss10.3
>Is the script referenced on that page, ppv.pl, the thing to do this
>with?

No, it isn't. The link I gave pointer to "Adding support for an external
tuner" lower on the page. Although the ppv.pl script is related.

You don't need a WinTV _input_ to change your directTV box, lirc has a
second function: sending out information with a IR transmitter. See the
archives and lirc for more info.

>If I run it, it updates the database, but MythTv has a heart
>attack when I try watching tv (slows to a crawl, 99% cpu usage). If I go
>straight to 'record' I get the same old tv grid, with no extra channel.
>Perhaps this script is meant for version 0.8? It is not well documented.
>I see where it inserts channels, but I don't know how this interacts
>with inputs and the grid.

Most stuff on the dev-list here is related to CVS. If you were trying 0.7,
just sit tight until 0.8 is released. I have no idea whatsoever if or how
lirc and directTV work with 0.7. Educated guess is that they don't :-)

Erik