[mythtv] s-video input / widescreen tv ?

Erik Arendse erik_nospam.arendse at bigfoot.com
Wed Jan 22 14:33:13 EST 2003

At 22-1-03 13:29, Bruce Markey wrote:
>If I understand this correctly, the letterboxed lines in
>the 4:3 image are common to both then every third or fourth
>PAL-Plus line is added. Are there any capture cards capable
>of doing this reconstruction? Or, at least assign digital
>values to the blacker-than-black information so that the
>reconstruction could be done in software?
I could never find any card that could do it. But I want one. Not sure if
software is enough, don't think so as it should behave default as a normal
non-PAL-Plus TV. But perhaps the chips used have lots of twiddle-registers...

>The one thing I want to understand here is if the
>only change is that the scan lines are closer together. If
>the synch timings change, an X display may not survive the
>transition. If it continues normal PAL and merely squashes
>down then this would work well for myth.
It just squashes down, input stays 100% unchanged.

>Interesting, here some shows and commercials deliberately
>chop a little off the top and bottom to give the illusion
>that it is some special widescreen broadcast ;-).
Same here. Probably the owners of the channels never watch the commercials
they get paid to transmit, or  read in some old report that some people
don't like letterboxing. The guys making those commercials just read newer
reports :-)