[mythtv] s-video input / widescreen tv ?

Erik Arendse erik_nospam.arendse at bigfoot.com
Mon Jan 20 14:19:05 EST 2003

At 20-1-03 14:01, you wrote:
>>If mythTV knows which format a recording has and could control your TV,
>>it can turn the TV in 4:3 for all menus, and show normal pictures as 4:3,
>>while showing pictures from anamorphic sources squashed into 16:9.
>Do not attempt to adjust your set. We control the vertical.
>We control the horizontal. The best approach would be to
>leave the TV, and thus the X screen, at 16:9 then set the
>dimension of the Xv output to the desired aspect ratio.

Nope.

That's just when you have a _real_  physical anamorphic 16:9 display. At
home I have a TV (CRT tube) which can switch over to 16:9. It does that by
deflecting the rays less in the vertical direction, so I still have the
same amount of lines.
If I leave that TV in 16:9 mode for a normal picture (myth-menu or
TV-show), and mythtv would correct the 4:3 images to fit inside the 16:9
box, I would end up with a small box in the middle of BigBlackBorders(tm).
Same story for projectors with real anamorphic support.

Erik