[mythtv] Sound help please

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sun Jan 19 16:27:39 EST 2003

Aaron Frerichs wrote:
> Now, I tried the test in the Documentation, section
> 17.11, but I keep getting this error message.
> /dev/dsp: no such device
>
> That is weird, because I checked my /dev directory and
> dsp is there as a link to dsp0.

Right, if the file didn't exist, the error would be
something like "No such file or directory". No such device
means that there is no accessable device associated with
the file.

Make sure you've run the "snddevices" script in the ALSA
driver build directory.

Try /dev/dsp1 and /dev/dsp2 in case something else grabbed
/dev/dsp0 first.

cat /proc/asound/pcm to see that there is something like

00-00: <...your card info...> : playback 1 : capture 1

and

cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/info to see if things look okay.

--  bjm