[mythtv] Some Ideas on MythTV - Convergence

Stephan Wentz wentz at gmx.de
Fri Jan 17 13:40:03 EST 2003

> 1.
> The MythMovie is already there as MythVideo. (I has a new cvs commit I'm
> adding this weekend with lots of good
> Changes)
>
> The big issue with this is do we go write a whole full-blown app like
> mplayer, always keep up with
> The latest codecs,..etc..or do we just spawn off to mplayer and let them
> deal with it.
> The latter is what I'm doing now.
>
> If people prefer, I could try and rip out the guts of mplayer and
> directly make a MythVideo/Movie
> Application..if that's what the overall vision is, then I guess it's
> better to start sooner than later.
>
> Personally, I'm using mythvideo with mythtv 100% of the time. It's my
> main "tv". I have yet to have
> Any problems. (well..except for the reemote control, but I'm working on
> that)

hmm i don't know why it should be changed? runs fine the way it is!
maybe the selection-screen could be updated, and fit into the generell
display-theme... and the keys should be equal to mythtv! (don't now if this
is the case right now)

> 2. MythRadio. Good idea..i had actually just pulled out my radio tuner
> card out of the attic and was thinking about it myself...

great idea! i have a wintv pci-fm with a radio tuner, would be great to use
this thing myth mythtv!

> 3. no comment

me too ;-)

> 4. what I really want to do is have mythfronend be able to run
> completely as a "slave" i.e. listen to a network
> Port and be able to send it commands to do..essentially giving it a
> network API.
> It's not quite what you're saying but could kinda jive.

hmm wait a minute... hehe... this is weird... mythbackend as a server listens
to mythfrontend as a client, and mythfrontend should listen as a server to
some other client? this _isn't_ what a client is supposed to do! why not
build this stuff into the server, it's _his_ work to receive data and compute
things!
reminds me of the mysql-discussion here ;-)

> 5. I think this is also an awesome idea, and my opinion is expecially if
> you are interestred in doing it,
> That it'd be the best thing for you to do.

i don't think i have any need for this, but it _really_ sounds interesting!

bye, stephan