[mythtv] Record now?

Chuck Wolber chuckw at quantumlinux.com
Fri Jan 17 01:10:23 EST 2003

>  a)  should the backend provide an interface to the database or
>  b) should the frontend connect to the database directly
>
> Security wise, a makes more sense, but how secure do you want your
> recordings of M*A*S*H to be???
>
> In most situations all connections would be behind a firewall hopefully,
> and connecting to the db directly, and even through an api would be less
> costly than asking for the info through the backend.
>
> Personally, I don't care who knows that I record junkyard wars, but
> ymmv. ;-)

>From a programming standpoint, wouldn't it be better to hide the database
behind an API anyway?

As for security, I agree that this thing should never be directly on the
internet.  However I can see a multicast system in MythTV's future which
makes it all the more important to hide everything behind an API.

-Chuck

--
 Quantum Linux Laboratories - ACCELERATING Business with Linux Technology
   * Education			|
   * Support			| chuckw at quantumlinux.com

 "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send."
		-- Jonathan B. Postel