[mythtv] Some Ideas on MythTV - Convergence

Mark Musone mmusone at shatterit.com
Thu Jan 16 22:15:28 EST 2003

My $.03

1.
The MythMovie is already there as MythVideo. (I has a new cvs commit I'm
adding this weekend with lots of good
Changes)

The big issue with this is do we go write a whole full-blown app like
mplayer, always keep up with
The latest codecs,..etc..or do we just spawn off to mplayer and let them
deal with it.
The latter is what I'm doing now.

If people prefer, I could try and rip out the guts of mplayer and
directly make a MythVideo/Movie
Application..if that's what the overall vision is, then I guess it's
better to start sooner than later.

Personally, I'm using mythvideo with mythtv 100% of the time. It's my
main "tv". I have yet to have
Any problems. (well..except for the reemote control, but I'm working on
that)

2. MythRadio. Good idea..i had actually just pulled out my radio tuner
card out of the attic and was thinking about it myself...

3. no comment

4. what I really want to do is have mythfronend be able to run
completely as a "slave" i.e. listen to a network
Port and be able to send it commands to do..essentially giving it a
network API.
It's not quite what you're saying but could kinda jive.

5. I think this is also an awesome idea, and my opinion is expecially if
you are interestred in doing it,
That it'd be the best thing for you to do.

-Mark