[mythtv] Can QT be found for free?

Jesse Crews myth at highwayman.dyndns.org
Thu Jan 16 13:20:34 EST 2003

QT is available under a free non-commercial license. It can be found in any
major Linux distribution, or at KDE, or at trolltech here:
ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/pub/qt/source. Anything called qt-x11-free-3.0/3.1.x
is the source code for the QT libraries. It's easiest to use your distro's
FTP site, since they have already packaged binaries for you (QT takes
forever to compile even on a fast machine). KDE also has binaries for QT on
their site (www.kde.org).

For a distribution, use Debian at www.debian.org, or for an uber-optimised
system, use Gentoo at www.gentoo.org. For others, visit www.distrowatch.com.
They all have QT included. It is best to choose a distribution that has GCC
3.x as a compiler, because libavcodec uses its newer optimisation features.
I personally use Gentoo, and stage-3 shouldn't take long to install (I
started from stage-1, ouch).

Regards,
Jesse