[mythtv] Closed Captioning?

Matthew S. Hallacy mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sat Jan 11 13:42:00 EST 2003

On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 12:10:33AM -0500, Johann Klemmack wrote:
> Does MythTV (or V4L for that matter) support closed captioning?  The bytesex
> homepage doesn't list it, and the best hit I got off google was
> http://toonarchive.com/v4l-cc/.  Perhaps onto the todo list?  I'd be willing
> to help out on this, but I wouldn't know how to get a scrolling textbox
> overlay.  Recording the text to DB would be spiffy too, and I have an idea
> of how to do that :)

v4l supports VBI (closed captioning) via the /dev/vbi* devices, this is
in the v4l specs, and the bttv driver supports this. It should be trivial
to use any of the various VBI decoding utilities then display it in a
scrolling OSD (preferably transparent =)

Options like only CC when muted (aka, QuickCap) would be nifty as well..