[mythtv] pcm audio control while recording

Harondel J. Sibble mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sat Jan 11 03:41:35 EST 2003

On 6 Jan 2003 at 10:49, Kevin Bowen wrote:

> Perhaps I'm not understanding your problem.... if you're recording a show (and
> not watching it as it records) you should not be hearing any audio, so there
> should be nothing to mute.
That _should_ be the case, but it's not here. Basically while recording,
unless I mute "OGAIN" which actually controls my rear speaker's volume, I
hear the live audio (non timeshifted)  from the rear speakers.  That happens
when watching timeshifted tv and during scheduled recordings. Once a
scheduled recording is complete, the live tv audio still emits from the rear
speakers.  The ONLY way I can get rid of that (so that I can play music
through all 4 speakers) is to shutdown mythfrontend, unload all the bttv
stuff and then do a modprobe bttv and restart mythfrontend.

Things haven't _always_ been like this, the problem has come and gone a
couple of times since 0.6 and multiple reinstalls. There have been
discussions on list about this a few times, but nothing seems to resolve the
problem. :-(

> The control names I listed are for alsamixer,
> though it sounds like you probably are still using OSS... that shouldnt be a
Yes this is OSS, I have a 2.4.20 kernel on the system using Alsa 0.9rc6, but
I haven't been able to get LIRC working with that kernel so I haven't been
using it.

> sounds like you probably have it set right. DO you hear audio while recording
> (but not watching live) in myth? or am I misunderstanding you?
Yes, you have it right I do hear audio when a scheduled recording starts and
to stop it I have to mute both PCM and OGAIN (playback). I think it's
probably pissed off my neighbours as I've come home late on a couple of
fridays (scheduled recordings for Nikita and Farscape) to hear tv audio
blasting out of the speakers.

> If you just mean you want a way to mute myth while its playing back video
> (either live or prerecorded) without muting PCM out so that you can hear XMMS,
> then no, theres no way to do that in the mixer - someone would have to
> implement a mute function in myth... though I really don't see the point - why
> would you want video to be playing back, muted?
Yes that's exactly what I want. To be able to have a recording going but not
hear it while being able to concurrently listen to my mp3's.

--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting