[mythtv] MythWeather graphics

Matthew S. Hallacy mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri Jan 10 19:16:31 EST 2003

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 09:57:05AM -0500, Brian Wente wrote:
> The NWS page states:
>
> As required by 17 U.S.C. 403, third parties producing copyrighted works
> consisting predominantly of the material appearing in NWS Web pages must
> provide notice with such work(s) identifying the NWS material incorporated
> and stating that such material is not subject to copyright protection.
>
> (http://weather.gov/disclaimer.html)
>
> But I agree we should create our own graphics, based on themes.

If you're downloading the images from their site, along with the
weather information, you aren't producing copyrighted works, you're
creating a very basic web browser. I believe they're referring to
things such as printed materials, or other circumstances where
the end-user is not the one in control of retrieving the data from
their site. (In MythTV's case, the user is controlling it, no issues)