Re[2]: [mythtv] WinTV PVR-250 (hardware mpeg encoder)

Tony Clark mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri Jan 10 07:51:32 EST 2003

On Friday 10 January 2003 07.30, Andrew Dacey wrote:
> On 1/10/03 1:08 AM, "Wayne Johnson" <bigman1@alltel.net> wrote:
> > I think you miss the point of this project. Isaac wrote this for his
> > amusement. If you provide patches etc, he might consider it. I
> > personally don't see what the big deal is lately with the whole
> > sff/mini-itx movement.
> > On the topic of quieting a computer it doesn't have to be expensive at
> > all. rubber grommets found at hardware stores can be used for fan and
> > harddrive/cd/dvd mounting to cut down vibration. Also, quiet fans can
> > be found online at very reasonable prices.
> > My 0.02 cents
>
> I think it's really a case of what your needs are and what is available for
> you. For myself, I can get a celeron 350 cpu and mobo for free from a
> friend. I also don't have the same availability locally for cheap new
> processors. An Athlon XP 1800+ locally is $156 CAD (roughly $100 US) after
> taxes, plus I'd need a motherboard for it still. To do mail order would add
> shipping, taxes, and possibly duty so it's not a viable solution for me
> when it comes to hardware I can acquire locally.

The way to really do this is for a hardware opencore mpeg4 encoder/decoder on
an FPGA with opensource drivers.  I would  be more than willing to do the
FPGA side of things but and it is a BIG but, the cost is just going to go
through the roof.  You are probably looking somewhere from 200 - 500 USD to
get a PCI card made with a decent FPGA on it as a hobby project.  The
benefits would be a nice low power PC with little in the way of cooling.  You
could get away with a complete, passively cooled device if your willing to
spend extra bucks on a PSU.

tony

--
Contract ASIC and FPGA design.