[mythtv] Re: MythWeather

Nathan Poznick mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu Jan 9 16:53:58 EST 2003

Thus spake John:
> Great idea!

Agreed, I'm looking forward to using this!

It looks like the weather data comes from msnbc.com... I think it would
be nice if it was modified to fetch the data from another, 'more
reliable' source... say, NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric
Administration).  A decoded METAR report can be fetched for a given
station ID, from
http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/decoded/XXXX.TXT
where XXXX is the 4-character station code.  These reports cover both US
and International weather stations.  For instance,
http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/decoded/YSSY.TXT
gives you the weather conditions in Sydney, NSW, Australia, while
http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/decoded/KLRF.TXT
gives you the weather in Little Rock, AR, United States.

It would probably simplify things a bit in the retrieval of the weather
information...

A tool to look up your station code is to be found at
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/tg/siteloc.shtml

--
Nathan Poznick <poznick@conwaycorp.net>

All I know is what I see in the papers. - Will Rogers