[mythtv] Reconfigurable keybindings (was: LIRC support)

Erik Arendse erik_nospam.arendse at bigfoot.com
Thu Feb 27 07:48:41 EST 2003

At 26-2-03 18:47, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
>Of course, the nice thing about direct LIRC support is
>that you could support events that are independent of the current
>window; for instance you might have a button that activates LiveTV
>regardless of where you currently are in the menu hierarchy.

This would be useless in the context of MythTV.
I'm not judging your example functionality-wise here, what I mean is that
as I see it any functionality offered by the remote (=LIRC) will be by
definition be coded in Myth as a response to a PC-keypress. I can't imagine
any functionality you'd only want from a remote, even if the only reason is
to facilitate developing...

>The problem is, of course, that you then need a way to filter out events
>when you DON'T want them; for instance if MPlayer is in the foreground
>then Myth should ignore all LIRC events.

AFAIK it's easy to detect from the app out if it has focus.

>It's entirely possible that your configurable keybindings will introduce
>enough versatility as to make direct LIRC support unnecessary -- for
>now.  irxevent is certainly a simple solution for now, but it is only
>valid under X.  What happens if Myth starts supporting non-X displays
>like the framebuffer?  An interesting problem, to say the least.

Again simple solution: very basis LIRC client functionality just listens to
LIRC commands and translates them into a "virtual keypress" and stuffs it
into QT (optional checking if Myth has focus).
This works both for running QT-X11 and QT-Embedded.

Erik