[mythtv] Myth .nuv MPEG4 format portability

COFFMAN Steven SCoffman at COVANSYS.com
Wed Feb 26 12:45:20 EST 2003

Yeah, newer versions of mplayer (such as I have installed) already have
that patch applied. I can watch them fine on my machine. I would like to
be able to share a TV episode with a person who does not have Linux.

My question: is there a way I can convert the NuppelVideo file to a more
common file format such that the MPEG4 portion is not decoded and
re-encoded at a substantial loss in quality?

-Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Madsen [mailto:madsend at myrealbox.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 12:34 PM
To: Development of mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv] Myth .nuv MPEG4 format portability

The .nuv extension means the file is a NuppelVideo file.  It does use
the Mpeg4 codec do encode it, but it stores it multiplexed with the
audio in the NuppelVideo file format, similar to an AVI if you know
aobut how they work. You can use multiple codecs for the different audio
and video, but they are all saved in the same file.  You can search the
archives for a patch that allows the .nuv files to be played with
mplayer.  This will also allow you to use mencoder which can transcode
the file into a different file format. Read the documentation for
mplayer and you should be able to figure it out, if you still need help
after that, let me know.

Dave Madsen