[mythtv] Reconfigurable keybindings (was: LIRC support)

Erik Arendse erik_nospam.arendse at bigfoot.com
Mon Feb 24 09:15:08 EST 2003

At 22-2-03 05:59, Isaac Richards wrote:
>On Friday 21 February 2003 10:07 pm, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> > As far as LIRC support goes, I thought I'd first take a stab at adding
> > simple support to mythfrontend.  Once I have my brain wrapped around it,
> > I thought it might be cool to support different LIRC configurations for
> > different modes, so that the same key could do different things
> > depending on whether you're watching LiveTV or in Edit Mode, for
> > instance.  Finally I'd like to add LIRC support to mythweather,
> > mythgallery & mythmusic.
> >
> > Of course, things are working okay for me with irxevent under fvwm, but
> > I did have problems using twm.  I figure they're window manager-specific
> > focus issues, and I'd just as soon have the remote control support not
> > depend on such things.  Plus, if the ability to run with X (i.e.,
> > framebuffer support) comes along, irxevent will no longer work.
> >
> > Anyway, any suggestions, requests?
>
>It's going to be a lot more complicated than you think, due to how ever
>different screen is its own window -- you're going to have to keep track of
>what widget should be receiving the events, etc.

Hold your horses before doing any double work. I've already spend hours and
hours coding reconfigurable keybindings into Myth. For this I ran into the
issues Isaac mentioned, so I am changing the key-event handling to use the
same style all-over. After my stuff is finished the following should be easy:
- All keys will be entered via QT keyhandling. This means you only have to
write a single injector which transforms LIRC stuff into a QT keypress.
- The translating of the same key into a different action depending on the
context is handled by the user-key-definition stuff I already wrote (not in
CVS yet, just my private tree). For a quick overview of the ideas behind it
see this thread:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=50157;search_string=keys%20configurable%20arendse;guest=172564&t=search_engine#50157

Erik